RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Measuring SNR

From: Tachwali, Yahia
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Measuring SNR
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:48:56 -0600

Hello Swapna,

The SNR in wireless channel cannot be measured but it can be "estimated". One way to do that for constant envelope modulation such as PSK is by measuring the variance in the received signal envelope. Ideally you should receive a constant stable envelope of your signal. However, due to the noise in the channel (assuming WGN channel, which is normally the assumption for the famous theoretical waterfall plots for BER vs SNR) you can find a relation between the variance in the envelope and SNR.

To get the exact relation I suggest you to look at the last chapter of

Optical Bit Error Rate: An Estimation Methodology by Stamatios V. Kartalopoulos

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Kind regards,
Yahia Tachwali