Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] C++ Templates and SWIG

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] C++ Templates and SWIG
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:02:07 -0800

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Martin Braun
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I am probably going to need some templates in C++ blocks in the near
> future, so I had a look at the code in gnuradio-core, where the
> templates are processed before the compiler gets to see the code (all
> the *X.cc.t files). If I read correctly, there was some discussion a
> while ago to change this to C++ templates.
>
> Question: could this now be done with C++ templates, or is there a
> (SWIGgy) reason to use the custom template system?

The original reason this was done was that SWIG did not work very well
with C++ templates and it was simpler and easier to implement our own
technique.  SWIG has come along way and the original justification may
not hold anymore.

We're open to suggestions in this area.  I think Michael Dickens at
one point had some ideas here.

-Johnathan