Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installation problem on 64-bit ubuntu intrepid

From: Newell Jensen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installation problem on 64-bit ubuntu intrepid
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:52:12 -0800

I have just upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 on my 64-bit machine (a few weeks ago).

Did you do this? (which is on the wiki):

Because Debian and Ubuntu apply a poorly implemented "enhancement" to the upstream version of libtool, they break the ability to test code and libraries prior to installing them. We think that testing before installation is a good idea. To work around their damage, be sure to include $PREFIX/lib (and $PREFIX/lib64 on 64-bit machines) in /etc/ld.so.conf.

If you don't include $PREFIX/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf, you will see errors during the linking phase of the build. There are several places it shows up. The first one is often during the build of mblocks. It's not an mblock problem. It's a Debian/Ubuntu problem.

Do this to work around the "feature":

cp /etc/ld.so.conf /tmp/ld.so.conf
echo /usr/local/lib >> /tmp/ld.so.conf
sudo mv /tmp/ld.so.conf /etc/ld.so.conf
sudo ldconfig

--
Newell

http://www.gempillar.com
Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water
After enlightenment: code, build circuits