[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Delays

From: sri ram
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Delays
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:47:16 -0500

Hi everyone,
                  I am interested in knowing the delay jitter of the total transmission time of a packet/waveform. Specifically, I want to know the time between the time the flowgraph is tsarted in python (tb.run or tb.start) and the time that the first sample is transmitted into the air from the USRP hardware. I want to know if I can reduce the jitter in this time (across runs) to as low a value as possible.

I use usrp_siggen.py with gnuradio-3.1.2 to transmit a square waveform .I try to start the flowgraph at a precise time x (in microseconds) by using y=x-time.time() and time.sleep(y) and then tb.start(),time.sleep(0.1) and tb.stop(). I also use an interp of 32 at the Tx. I have a receiver that logs all data (with -d 64). I observe the samples just out of the usrp source.

For transmissions that are precisely spaced in time using appropriate values x, the inter transmission delay measured at  the receiver is off by a value > than 2 ms.
(despite using nice to increase the priority of this process).

1. Is it possible to reduce the jitter between successive Tx.delay measurements to be few 10's of microseconds or lesser?

2. Is there a way to run the usrp_siggen code as a kernel module to improve the delay jitter performance?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Sri