[Discuss-gnuradio] rx & tx amps: recommendations?

From: Bob Keyes
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] rx & tx amps: recommendations?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:45:51 -0800 (PST)

Well, I've got the USRP & gnuradio working...to the point where hf_radio.py
doesn't crash, provides me a very low level of background noise, and not much
else. I had kind of hoped that I could pick up at least wwv with a three meter
hunk of wire connected to RX-A, but no luck. Of course, I had expected to use
some pre-amps for a real radio, and some transmit amps as well. The
recommendation from the Ettus site is for the mini-circuits amps, but I was
hoping that people could give some more specific recommendations as to what has
worked for them. I will be using the basic LFRX and LFTX boards, but also going
to be doing some work with high bands, 1500-2000 mhz as well. Other than
mini-circuits, what other subassemblies are cheap, easy to use, reliable, and
have low noise figures?