Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] inconsistency in the PER versus distance using US

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] inconsistency in the PER versus distance using USRP
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:40:54 -0500

Bill Stevenson wrote:

In door environment; the temperature are the same in these two experiments; center frequency is 2479MHz because on one hand, I want to avoid the 2400MHz to 2483MHz band which is the working band of 802.11, on the other hand the bandpass filter on the 2400MHz daugterboard (2400M to 2483M) and the bandwidth of USB port which is 8MHz together forced me to chose the center frequency to be at most 2479MHz; all other conditions in these two experiments are the same: chairs and desks are fastened, not being moved, etc.

Didn't you just answer your own question? You're operating within 802.11 interference range. The frequency band of channel 12 is 2456-2478MHz. You're sitting at 2479MHz and with 8MHz bandwidth, your bottom 4MHz are within 802.11 interference range. Additionally, you could use usrp_fft.py to actually inspect the channel and determine if there is any noise on it.

- George