Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with GNU radio installation in UBUNTU 8.1

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with GNU radio installation in UBUNTU 8.10
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:11:39 -0800

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:57 AM, gohar anwar <address@hidden> wrote:

>  I am trying to install GNU radio on Ubuntu 8.10.
> I followed the script method (apt-get) step by step as described in wiki.
> All the packages are completey installed without any error.(during
> installation). But still GNU radio cant access the USRP. I am using USRP1
> with my sony vaio fw160j.
> Following error occured when i tried to run th example usrp_benchmark_usb.py

> RuntimeError: can't open usrp1

The at least two possible reasons I can think of that would generate
your symptoms:

1) You don't have access to the hardware.  The binary package install
adds the group 'usrp' and allows members of that group to access the
USRP, but you need to add your userid to that group (this is in the
wiki page you used.)

2) You have a physical cabling issue (such as not using a USB2.0
standard rated cable).

-Johnathan