Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python Headers

From: Umair Nasir
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python Headers
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:43:16 +0500

The cygwin package for pygtk is very old. Cygwin updated her packages to python25, but never updated the pygtk package:
http://cygwin.com/packages/pygtk2/pygtk2-2.6.3-1

You will have to install pygtk from source. If you figure out how to do this, please update the cygwin wiki with instructions ;-) http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/CygwinInstallMain
-Josh

Yes the pygtk version in cygwin's setup.exe is 2.6.3-1. And while installing GRC, the configure doesn't even find it. And so I downloaded pygtk-2.12.1. But configuring it gave the error 'cannot find python headers'.

I installed python from source. A newer version python-2.5.2 instead of cygwin's python-2.5.1.
And then configuring pygtk could successfully find the python headers.

But now pygtk needed pygobject. Sow I downloaded pygobject source, and configuring pygobject needed glib version greater that 2.14, so I downloaded glib2.19. Then glib2.19 needed 'gettext' so I used setup.exe to install gettext. Then glib2.19 configured and installed successfully. Then configuring pygobject didn't give glib's error, instead it said 'libffi support: no' and stopped.
I installed libffi from source, but pygobject still gives the same error.

Conclusion: GRC still not successful on cygwin!!

Anyone used GRC with cygwin???

Can anyone tell me which is the best environment for GNU Radio??

--
Umair