[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Soft-DVB DVB-T transmitter

From: Martin DvH
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Soft-DVB DVB-T transmitter
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 23:53:40 +0100

Hi Vincenzo,

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 01:28 +0100, Vincenzo Pellegrini wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> sorry for the delayed replies but now I've passed my first cluster of
> PhD tests (went well)

Congratulations.
>  and I've got to carry out some work + preparing the second group of
> tests.
Success.
> Well, really glad to know that you managed to receive my signals.
> Yup dvb-t sticks can actually receive 7 MHz channels everywhere,
I found that some of them need special "australian 7MHz at UHF" firmware
to get this to work.
Luckily my DVB-T usb stick doesn't need this trick.
> Well, actually any DVB-T chipset can but typically manufacturers
> impose strange limitations on set-top-boxes such as "7 MHz chanels
> accepted only in VHF" I don't really know why.
>
> The signal I provided you with is suitable for both 7 and 8 MHz
> channels without any modification needed. The only thing you have to
> do is to set your sampling frequency a bit higher. this should be
> possible with USRP2.
The receiver might still have a problem that it is getting in the MPEG
streams at a higher rate then realtime.

> In fact: 8 complex Msps implement a 7 MHz channel while 9.142857143
> complex Msps implement an 8 MHz channel.
> Just try to go as close as possible to such sampling frequency by
> using USRP2 and let me know what happens... it could turn out that we
> need a resampler block.
So if I use a fractional rate resampler with interpolation factor
10/8=1.25 I get a 7 Mhz channel with 10 Msps samplerate.
If I use a fractional rate resampler with interpolation factor
10/9.142857143=1.09375 I get a 8 Mhz channel with 10 Msps samplerate

If I use a fractional rate resampler with DECIMATION factor
9.142857143/8=8/7=1.142857143 I get a 8 Mhz channel with 8 Msps
samplerate with the out-of-band skirts folded back at the sides.

Would be interesting to see if this last one works with a USRP1.

I'll let you know how the experiments go.

> more details will follow as soon as I find some time...
Thanks and success with your second group of tests.

Martin