Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Microblaze? Why not OpenRISC

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Microblaze? Why not OpenRISC
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:11:52 -0700

Newell Jensen wrote:
For the USRP2 why did you guys decide to go with the Microblaze soft processor (which is not open source) versus the OpenRISC core on OpenCores.org (which is open source)? Was it just the overhead that would have been needed to get it up and running (my guess) or was it something else?

We are NOT using the Microblaze. We are using an OpenCore called the aeMB which has the same instruction set as the microblaze, so we use the same GCC compilers as the microblaze. I chose not to use the OpenRISC because it is much larger.

Matt