Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] updated BBN 80211 code?

From: Douglas Geiger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] updated BBN 80211 code?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:39:06 -0500

Eric Blossom wrote:
All good observations.

I'd like to say a couple of words about the copyright assignment
processes.  In 95% of the cases, it's very simple.  You fill out a
simple email form, the FSF copyright clerk sends you a couple of pages
of hardcopy paperwork, you sign them and mail them back.  Done.

What some folks (students mostly) find out when they head down this
path, is that there is a non-zero probability that they don't actually
own what they _think_ is their own work.  This may be extremely
disconcerting, but it's not really a GR problem.  Think of it as a
crash course in copyright.  It's important to read and pay attention
to the fine print on employment, research or stipend agreements (all
contracts, really).  In cases where somebody else may claim ownership
of the work there's an extra step.  That step is getting either a
disclaimer or an assignment from the school or employer.  This is
generally not a big deal either.  With some schools, we negotiate a
single agreement covering all of their students for all GNU projects.
Others are handled by a disclaimer from their professor or sponsor, or
whatever.

I hope this helped shed some light on the process.

Eric
Having recently gone through this, I can attest that it was, in fact, quite painless. Besides the assignment from myself, I had to get a disclaimer stating the University did not hold (or desire) a claim on my work on GR. For my end, dealing with my University's intellectual property agreements was fairly simple, as Oklahoma State does not require that grad students sign it away when working as a research assistant (i.e. 'works made for hire'). However, most employers will typically lay claim to any copyright-able material generated by employees - so even non-students would face this if they are working on GR during the course of their work. Perhaps this is something OSU should be advertising more to entice grad students to come and work for them :).

--
Doug Geiger
Research Assistant