Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] introducing CGRAN: 3rd party GNU Radio applicatio

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] introducing CGRAN: 3rd party GNU Radio application support
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:38:48 -0400

Very nice.

Is there going to be a standard way to use a CGRAN project on my gnuradio system... 2 simultaneous build systems, 1 for cgran, 1 for gnuradio? Many individual build systems, 1 for each cgran project? svn:externals?

We have to change the default trac color/theme on at least one of the websites now.

George Nychis wrote:
Hi all,

I am happy to announce the official release of CGRAN: The Comprehensive GNU Radio Archive Network. Summary: CPAN->Perl as CGRAN->GNU Radio.

https://www.cgran.org/ (initial release only supports SSL, sorry!)

just finished adding an ssl exception in firefox...

What Is CGRAN?
---------------
The Comprehensive GNU Radio Archive Network (CGRAN) is a free open source repository for 3rd party GNU Radio applications that are not officially supported by the GNU Radio project. CGRAN provides a subversion repository for users to develop or submit new applications, and wiki access for full project documentation. Trac (our web interface) provides unique features such as a browser for the subversion repository and a ticket system for users to file issues with projects in CGRAN.

Why?
----
Getting code into the GNU Radio code base is difficult. Share your GNU Radio applications without the hassle of FSF copyright, obtaining a GNU Radio developer account, integrating into the GNU Radio branch, and following GNU Radio coding conventions. They are there for a reason, but they are not for everyone... and not all applications are for the official GNU Radio code base! ;)

CGRAN RELEASE BONUS: Architectural Latency Measurements
As a CGRAN "first project" release for others to follow, I have added code and applications which measure the latency of data as it flows from GNU Radio to the USRP and back. This gives you an idea of GNU Radio->USRP round trip time, GNU Radio->kernel latencies, and kernel->USRP round trip time. This can certainly be extended... all you need is a CGRAN account to work on it :)

Two initial projects I would love to see in CGRAN!
  * BBN 802.11 code (CGRAN would allow others to keep it up to date)
  * Univ. of Utah 802.11b Decoder

I am open to suggestions about CGRAN, it's for the community... so community feedback is appreciated. Of course, report issues.

Enjoy!
George