[Discuss-gnuradio] Switching On and Off the Power Amplifier in python

From: sri ram
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Switching On and Off the Power Amplifier in python
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 14:45:21 -0400

Hi all,
        I am trying to perform On Off Keying and I figured out that the way actual chips (TI-Chipcon 1000) do it is by turning on and off the power amplifier.
I found out that when I just modify the transmit constellation and use benchmark_tx.py the received power does not go down to 0 when the transmitted symbol is 0+0i. As pointed out by some of you, I found that the stream of symbols have a DC component which results in a beat frequency at the receiver.
My question now is, can I just shutdown and power up the (transmit) power amplifier depending on the transmitted symbol to perform On Off Keying. I think, I will not have the DC problem then because the power amplifier would now see only one symbol either 1 or 0 instead of a stream of symbols which have a DC component. In my understanding, the code currently sets auto_tr to true meaning that whenever it is not transmitting/ done transmitting a packet it goes to the receive state and so the power amplifier is off.

Is it possible to set the power amplifier On/OFF in Python ? Where can I find the code that performs this or is relevant to this?

Thanks,
Sri