Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ADC questions

From: Sebastiaan Heunis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ADC questions
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 22:08:02 +0200

Brian

Thanks for the reply.  I see from this Verilog line that the adc input
gets sign extended and gets 3 zeros at the back as you mentioned.

rx_dcoffset #(`FR_ADC_OFFSET_0)
rx_dcoffset0(.clock(clock),.enable(dco_en[0]),.reset(reset),.adc_in({adc0[11],adc0,3'b0}),.adc_out(adc0_corr),

.serial_addr(serial_addr),.serial_data(serial_data),.serial_strobe(serial_strobe));

I just don't know how the rx_dcoffset part works.  I don't know where
in the c++ or Python code the FR_ADC_OFFSET registers get written, so
I can't follow it that well.  Does this remove a DC offset introduced
by the ADC chip?

What I'm busy doing is to test the Verilog code with iverilog.  I want
to know how input samples should look that I am using to test the
different FPGA blocks.  If I, for instance, generate an FM signal that
I want to send into the cordic block, do I generate a signal and
convert it to 12-bit two's complement, extend the sign bit and pad it
with 3 zeros at the beginning to get it to 16-bits?  Can I then send
this signal to the cordic block and assume that this is what it would
look like in the FPGA?

What does the AGC level sensing part in adc_interface do?  Does this
monitor the level of the incoming samples to see if clipping occurs?
The last part, the mux, only routes the different adc inputs to the
correct DDC channels in the FPGA, right?

Thanks in advance.

Sebastiaan

--
Sebastiaan Heunis
Radar and Remote Sensing Group, University of Cape Town