Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 FPGA Notes

From: Gregory Maxwell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 FPGA Notes
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:17:17 -0400

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Matt Ettus <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]
> Well here is one alternative.  The S3-1500 is pin compatible with the 2000.
>  If enough people wish to purchase a special version with the smaller FPGA I
> can have a number of them built that way.  You would have to do some work to
> save a few block RAMs, but this isn't impossible.  My last version that used
> the 1500 (rev 1) should still be in the repository.

If it were the case that downgrading the FPGA made it reasonable ot
use a wholly free software toolset for building the FPGA images I'd be
behind doing that, and I'd put my own money behind supporting the
result.

But when degrading the USRP2 only means that you'd get more chose
among proprietary build tools, or the ability to skip constantly
reinstalling some nag-ware, it's not that much of a win.

I'd rather see Matt's time spent ensuring his own success, and perhaps
figuring out how to keep the total cost of a USRP-n system within the
reach of non-professional users.  The FPGA build tools are not needed
by most users, and while it's unfortunate that there choice of FPGA
results in additional difficulties for people interested in FPGA
modification, I do not think it is by far the biggest barrier to entry
for non-professional users.