Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 3rd party software

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 3rd party software
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:44:44 +0200

Hi,

I thought I'd just drop some lines too (without actually being helpful :).

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:13:26AM -0700, Firas A. wrote:
> > I was thinking that the SVN structure should be something like:
> > /
> > /project_name
> > /project_name/trunk
> > /project_name/tags
> > /project_name/branches
>
> I think, since it has not been created yet, careful structure should be
> followed. We should seek Eric and Johnathan advices.

Sorry for being such a nuisance, but this is not exactly what I'd wish
for it to be. 3rd-party repos should not be clones of the 'master repo'
concerning rules and structures. Of course, minimum standards for these
repos need to be set (e.g.: the ability to compile with a specified
snapshot without major modifications; and of course the coding
guidelines). But if the barriers for new people to contribute are to be
lowered, a small amount of anarchy will need to be tolerated if we want
to get close to the maximum creative channel capacity.

> > and then everyone has read access to everything, and commit access is
> > given to individuals working on > a project, or pretty much anyone who
> > wants it.  I just don't think we can leave it anonymous commit.

If people have to ask for permission to do anything, in many cases they
won't do it. Becoming a 3rd party developer on CGRAN should consist of
an on-line registration IMHO (including some kind of write-access).

> documentation, Project voting, License...etc fields too. We should
> investigate "SourceForge"  or any other similar web site to import useful
> features from it.

There must be a free web-based 3rd-party-repository-manager out
there, although I haven't seen one with SVN support or similar.
I'll keep my eyes peeled as well. Personally, I don't like any of the
existing C*AN contribution methods (upload forms, email your package
to XXXX...).

Cheers,
Martin

--