[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP2 expansion interface

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP2 expansion interface
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:11:24 -0700

address@hidden wrote:
Hi,

I'm Kevin Bobrowski. I am currently doing research with GNUradio, USRP,
and soon the USRP2 at Worcester Polytechnic Institute.  A while back, I
noticed that there was an expansion port.  I and along with others in my
lab would like to interface to this port to connect the USRP2 to a Virtex
5 SXT eval board.  I am looking for any documentation concerning this
port, especially how it is tied into the the FPGA, if that is the case. Can you also provide details concerning the debug port?

The expansion port is pretty straightforward. It uses a serial-attached SCSI (mini-SAS) cable. The cable has 4 lanes. Each lane consists of 1 differential pair input and 1 differential pair output. All lanes are AC (capacitor) coupled. The 4 lanes are allocated as follows:

1 - High-speed SERDES, 2 gbps 8B10B encoded. This interface is handled by a TLK2701 from TI, and it connects to the FPGA. You should be able to connect this interface to the RocketIO GTP/GTX transceivers on the virtex 5. Also, see the usrp2/fpga/serdes directory in the SVN repository to see how we handle the interface and protocol, framing, and flow control.

2 - 10 MHz clock reference

3 - Digital IO, connected directly to LVDS IOs on the FPGA. We currently have this set up to do time syncing, but you can do whatever you like with it.

4 - Unused

Matt