Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP support plan

From: Gregory Maxwell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP support plan
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:00:13 -0400

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Alberto Trentadue
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello
> I have recently purchased the USRP and planning SDR/education
> applications.
> Now that USRP2 is out, what is the plan to keep USRP supported, both
> HW-wise and by GNURadio?

The USRP2 does not really replace USRP.

The USRP2 is 2x the price.
The USRP2 has only support for one TX and one RX daughterboard.

Both support the same daughterboards.

While the USRP2 has many advantages, including increased dynamic
range, improved clocking, a much larger FPGA, greatly increased
bandwidth, and more on-board intelligence, there are many applications
which do not need the USRP2s improvements and would be hurt by the 4x
increase in price per-supported daughterboard.

There is also a rather large installed base of USRP.

As far as I'm aware Matt intends to continue to sell USRP, and I
expect that the GNURadio software stack will continue to support it.
I would expect that there will be some new blocks and examples
applications which require the increased bandwidth or the improved
FPGA on USRP2, but the sorts of things which already work should
expect to work.