Re: RFID using LFTX/LFRX (Was [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio mention inDEF

From: ChoJin
Subject: Re: RFID using LFTX/LFRX (Was [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio mention inDEFCON subway presentation)
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 19:55:46 +0200

On Sep 7, 2008, at 6:40 PM, Eric Blossom wrote:

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 10:16:04AM -0400, Philip M. Lanese wrote:
ChoJin,

Commercial 13.56 MHz RFID systems don't normally use a receiver in the
traditional sense to recover the tag data.

[...]

Here's a link to the "Open RFID reader":

 http://www.openpcd.org/

See also

 http://www.openpcd.org/rfiddump.0.html

It's been used with GNU Radio...

Thank you to both of you for the extra information.

I was aware of the openpcd project, but as an exercise I was trying to code a
reader using the usrp and the LF daughterboards alone without any extra
electronic parts.

That's why, although it is not done like that in the real world, I'm using the LFTX to emit the signal and using the LFRX to try to read it back after being
modulated slightly by the tag.

Do you think it won't be possible to do so (i.e. just plugging a loop of copper wire into the antenna slots of the daughterboards) without using an op- amp
stage first?

--
Best Regards,
ChoJin