Re: RFID using LFTX/LFRX (Was [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio mention inDEF

From: Philip M. Lanese
Subject: Re: RFID using LFTX/LFRX (Was [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio mention inDEFCON subway presentation)
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 10:16:04 -0400

ChoJin,

Commercial 13.56 MHz RFID systems don't normally use a receiver in the
traditional sense to recover the tag data.

RFID manufacturers catering to the retail industry consider Tag Readers to be a
necessary give-away that allows them to sell millions of tags, so cost is always
driven towards the cheap end.

The tag operates in the magnetic field close to the reader transmitter antenna
and switches its antenna in and out of "resonance" at 13.56 MHz with the logic 1
/ logic 0 data stream output by the tag after an internal capacitor is charged
by the 13.56 RF energy and powers the internal logic circuits on, thereby
causing the reader antenna to hopefully have lower / higher Return Loss
corresponding to the tag digital data stream.

Think of using an o'scope to measure the voltage across a resistor that is in
series with the primary winding of a transformer while you open and short the
secondary winding.

Commercial systems measure the rectified output of a return loss measurement
circuit in series with the reader antenna to sense the data stream from the tag.
Most of the work is put into the design of the reader antenna, which is very
small in terms of wavelength, to increase the difference in the amplitude of the
millivolt level of the R/L output produced by the very small tag antenna  being
"in" and "out" of resonance.

Phil, K3IB