Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Gain

From: Richard Jaeger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Gain
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:04:20 -0500

On Sep 4, 2008, at 12:37 PM, Matt Ettus wrote:

Re CIC gain, there's a also a decimation specific shifter involved in
the path.  Please take a look at

Yes. You guys have the R^4 formula right, but the shifter takes back most of the gain. The actual gain from the CIC decimator once you include the shifter is:

R^4 /  ( 2^ ceiling(log2(r^4)))

I hope that is readable. Basically, if R is a power of 2, then the gain is exactly 1. If R is not a power of 2 then the gain is in the range of (0.5,1).

Matt

Well, if the gain is really in (0.5, 1), that makes my missing gain situation worse. I would be hunting for more than 20,000 in that case. Also, it is inconsistent with my measurements that show that the gain increases by a total of 26 dB as the decimation rate
is changed from 96 to 256.

---

Where is the shifter you are referring to? Is it in a non-recursive implementation of the CIC filter?

Dick...