Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] have a question about ofdm subcarriers and transf

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] have a question about ofdm subcarriers and transferring data in benchmark_ofdm_tx.py
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:06:55 -0400

James Park wrote:
Hi,
In benchmark_ofdm_tx.py, I heard that the middle number of subcarriers among the occupied_tones is alloacted to carry actual data, and the frequency band of each subcarrier depends on the interpolation rate. does it mean that if I change the occupied tones, I can control the number of subcarriers that carry actual data while having same the total number of subcarriers? and if that's true, how can I distinguish and analyze the subcarriers which carry data and which doesn't carry data?
Thanks.
James,

It seems like you've answered your own question. There are fft_length number of subcarriers; the occupied_tones number of subcarriers in the middle are used to carry data. When you set the interpolation rate, you set the bandwidth of the output signal, but that is completely independent of the subcarrier parameters.

Look at gnuradio-examples/python/ofdm/gr_plot_ofdm.py to visualize the signal. Use '-h' to see how to set the right parameters.

Tom