Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] State of the art with UMTS-WCDMA

From: Nan Zhang
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] State of the art with UMTS-WCDMA
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:54:55 -0700

Hi,

I don't have any code or implementation. Just some thought.

In my opinion, implementing cell search on gnuradio in realtime could be quite hard. Even with the aid of hardware accelerator such as decorrelator, cell search is computationally intensive in real modem. In gnuradio, all these computation has to be done in software. Also, the sampling rate in gnuratio radio is 8Msps, which is not mulitple of chip rate of UMTS (3.84MHz). Some multirate processing is required to change the sampling rate.

While real-time processing could be hard to implement given the current setting, one can always download a sample and do post-processing in non-real-time manner.

Best,
Nan