Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Improvement to OFDM receiver synchronization

From: Kyle Jamieson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Improvement to OFDM receiver synchronization code (ofdm_sync_pn)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:14:03 -0400

Oh, I forgot to mention that both the attached plots in my previous mail were from an over-the-air test at 2.412 GHz using two USRP Rev 4.5 boards with RFX2400 Rev 30 and the new antennas.

Thanks for the pointer to the literature!

Kyle

Dominik Auras wrote:
Hi Kylie,

This has also been proposed by Minn et. al in their paper "On timing offset estimation for OFDM systems". They showed that this method also improves the variance of the estimator.

The modification is quite simple:
R(d) = 0.5 * sum over full window |r(d+m)|^2.

I think, normally the correlation power should always be less or equal to the signal power. But if you have very small powers near zero that can't be precisely described with your current operands' bitwidth, the calculated power value may become smaller which yields a ratio greater than 1.0.

However, we have never experienced such problems with our OFDM system except for offline debugging scenarios. Over the air, the presence of noise will probably avoid this problem.

Dominik