Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Different input/output rate

From: irene159
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Different input/output rate
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 02:23:55 -0700 (PDT)

Eric Blossom wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 03:19:08PM -0700, irene159 wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the same problem. I have already taken a look at gr_simple_framer,
>> but code seems slightly complicated. I would appreciate any
>> explanations/comments on how to code different input and output rates.
>>
>> In the block I am coding the number of input items for an output item
>> isn't
>> constant. How can I handle this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Irene
>
> All is revealed in:
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/doc/howto-write-a-block.html
>
> Basically you subclass gr_block, provide forecast and general_work
> methods, then call consume/consume_each at the tail end of your
> general_work function.
>
> Eric

Thanks, I think I am starting to figure thinks out.

When referring to gr_simple_framer (which I am using as an example), may you
please help me understand the processing part (lines 76 to 89 in the .cc
file)?

So, we are adding a synchro sequence at the beginning of a frame of
‘payload_bytesize’ bytes. I suppose lines 79 to 87 in the while loop add the
synchro sequence end the sequence number. Line 89 copies ‘payload_bytesize’
bytes of input data to output stream after de synchro sequence. But why
write 0x55 ‘noutput_items’ bytes to ‘out’ ?