Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR platform other than usrp with gnuradio

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR platform other than usrp with gnuradio
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:57:52 -0700

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 05:55:21PM -0400, Anand Prabhu Subramanian wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I get raw IP packets.

Intersting choice.  What are you using for the protocol field?
Why not go for UDP?  It's only 8 bytes longer, and easy to deal with
in user mode on any OS.

> I have written a C program to read these packets and plot the
> spectrum in matlab. I wanted to use gnuradio to do different signal
> processing functions. Also I plan use the OFDM module in gnuradio.

OK.

> I am trying to understand the usrp_spectrum_sense.py file in
> the example and see what are the functions/classes related to USRP are
> used.

Besides what it takes to initially get the usrp setup, the only thing
it expects is that the gadget it's talking to has a way to set the
frequency.

> I will go through the pointers you have given and get back with specific
> questions.

Very good.

> One question regarding the samples that come out of USRP. Are they baseband
> I/Q samples?

Yes.  We send 16-bit I & Q.

Eric