Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR platform other than usrp with gnuradio

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR platform other than usrp with gnuradio
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:09:41 -0700

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:52:13PM -0400, Anand Prabhu Subramanian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a custom made SDR platform and trying to use gnu
> radio to program it. I understand that I need to write seperate source and
> sink blocks to receive and send I/Q samples from and to the device. I was
> wondering if anybody in the list could help me in understanding how to
> write these block. I suspect I would need to write something similar to
> the usrp code. Can you please let me know a starting point on how to write
> these blocks? The device I am currently using interfaces with the host
> using ethernet and sends/receives base band I/Q samples.

TCP, UDP, or raw ethernet?  If TCP, it ought to be very easy to talk to.

> Are there documentations on interfacing gnuradio to SDR platforms other
> than usrp. It would be very helpful if you could give some pointers.
>
> -Anand

Anand, the USRP is one of the more flexible devices, and thus all of
the code around it is fairly flexible and complicated by all the
things that can be tweaked.  In general, the code doesn't have to be
that complicated.

To get an idea about a couple of basic but useful sources and sinks,
take a look at

  gnuradio-core/src/lib/io/gr_file_{source,sink}.{h,cc,i}

Eric