[Discuss-gnuradio] BBN's 802.11b code

From: sri ram
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] BBN's 802.11b code
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:24:00 -0400

Hello all,
       I am trying to understand the BBN code for 802.11b. I must state upfront that I am not an expert in communication systems.

802.11b uses dBPSK and dQPSK modulations for its 1Mbps and 2Mbps rates. I explored how a dBPSK module looks like and I am able to make sense of the code in gnuradio-core/src/python/gnuradio/blks2impl/dbpsk.py. The receiver structure matches with what I have seen in communication textbooks.

However, the dBPSK demod receiver used in the BBN code  (gr-bbn/src/bbn/bbn_dpsk_demod_cb.cc) seems different from the technique used in main gnuradio dbpsk module. This also does not include timing and carrier sync loops. Can someone explain what this code does and point me to any link/textbook which describes the demodulation technique?
Is there some documentation for the BBN code and references to the text/paper for the mod/demod techniques used?

Thanks,
Sri