Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Small Intel Based Computers for GNURadio

From: Eric A. Cottrell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Small Intel Based Computers for GNURadio
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 23:29:39 -0400

Eric Blossom wrote:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 03:00:31PM -0400, Eric Cottrell wrote:
Hello,

I occasionally travel and want to take GNURadio with me.  I wonder
what laptops or small form factor systems (like ITX) work well with
GNURadio.

My current laptop, a Z60t, uses a 1.7 Pentium M.  It is okay for
most GNURadio apps but I get USRP overruns on other apps.  My Core 2
Duo Desktop does better but it is too big.  A Quad Core Laptop would
be great but there seems to be only a few products based on Desktop
Chips.

I've been happy with a whole series of X* ThinkPads.  Last I checked
they're shipping with Core 2 Duos in them, which gives you a pretty
serious 64-bit platform.  I'd probably opt for a 7200 RPM drive and
2 GB of RAM.

Hello,

I looked at the T and X series and I may get a T. The new X61 with the dock does not look too bad. I looked at the X300 but it is targeted more for low power. I should hurry up or I will not be able to get one with Windows XP.

The thing I keep forgetting about a luggable box is you likely need to lug a display, keyboard, and mouse as well.

I still bought a new battery for the Z60t and while browsing decided to buy the new 1.6 GHz Intel Atom Motherboard and a Apex MI-100 mini-ITX case. Mainly to play with for a possible car computer but I will try GNURadio. I plan to load Debian on it. I came close to buying a PS3 for GNURadio use but it is not quite ready.

I am happy with the Thinkpad series and use a 600e and a 600x for other radio stuff. It looks like the new series from Lenovo is the Ideapad. They can use the Thinkpad name only for a limited time and they want to give it up early.

73 Eric