[Discuss-gnuradio] Multiplie top blocks

From: Dominik Auras
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multiplie top blocks
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 20:15:14 +0200

Hi!

During the buildup phase of my gnuradio scripts (in __init__ of classes that
inherit from top_block or some classes that are initialized from a topblock
instance), I try to use gnuradio to convert some data. E.g. I use gr.fft to do
FFT on some constant data, or apply the function of some special blocks to
other constant data. With the old hierblock2 etc., that worked fine for me.

We've been working with an old gnuradio revision to not break up the system
upon changes to the trunk. But now, it is time to get to a newer revision
(skipping about 2000 revisions). After porting everything to your new top_block
structure, now I encounter the problem that creation of several top blocks is
not allowed. Actually, the second or later created topblock should be
terminated before the first will be started, but I use the other blocks during
setup of the "main" topblock.

How can I solve this problem? I don't like to recode so that every
initialization is done before creating the main block, since this forces me to
have knowledge of internals outside this block. Is there any smart way to have
the signal interrupt handler for example just tied to the currently running
block, e.g. allowing several top blocks to be created, but only one to be
running? Maybe to defer the registering of the handler until start of the
implementation.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Greetings
Dominik