Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gaining RSSI, SNR, CNR or BER information

From: Bastian Preindl
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gaining RSSI, SNR, CNR or BER information
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 16:38:22 +0200

Dear Jonathan,

If you use the USRP, you will obtain a complex baseband representation
of your satellite signal.  From this, you will need to implement a
demodulator for the particular signal involved.  From the output of

As far as I know there already exist demodulators for (A)FSK, BPSK and MSK - which covers the majority of the small satellites we focus on.

the demodulator, there are several ways to estimate signal-to-noise
ratio that do not require prior knowledge of the bit pattern.  From
the signal-to-noise ratio, you can estimate the theoretical bit error
rate for the type of modulation in use.  See:

http://www.comsoc.org/comm/private/2000/oct/1681_48comm10-pauluzzi.html

GNU Radio is very suitable for this sort of thing

That are very good news for me! I'm aware about the relations between SNR and BER - I just wonder about the several ways to estimate the SNR in GnuRadio. That's exactly the information I lack of - do you have any documentation/examples/sources for how to accomplish that?

And what about the usage of sound cards as ADC? Can I also obtain SNR information when I just have an audio stream as source?

Many thanks and best regards

Bastian