Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GnuRadio on PCI-104 (i.e., Fedora on USB Flash Dr

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GnuRadio on PCI-104 (i.e., Fedora on USB Flash Drive)
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 19:16:28 -0700

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 07:43:56PM -0600, Bahn, William L Civ USAFA/DFCS wrote:

> > Mandriva is promoting a version that boots off a USB drive
> > http://www.mandriva.com.
>
> That sounds promising. But when I went out there it looks like you
> can't download it - you have to buy their USB key. I have no problem
> with that, except that I need this computer up and running by
> tomorrow night.
>
> > I would expect that almost all distributions
> > would work, assuming that the BIOS will load the bootloader off the
> > USB drive.

> The BIOS is definitely set up to boot from a USB device - that is
> the preferred boot device. But I have no idea how to take a distro,
> such as Fedora Core 6, and get it installed onto a USB device so
> that the BIOS even has an opportunity to boot from it.

If you've got a CD attached to the PCI-104 (possibly via USB) you
should be able to get the installer to boot from the Fedora install CD
then install to the USB drive.  Or try the netboot as suggested by the
other person.  I think booting from a CD is going to be easier.

I suggest you find a local expert system administrator if you're
serious about getting this done by tomorrow.

Eric