Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matlab interface to USRP

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matlab interface to USRP
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 11:42:37 -0500 (CDT)

Pedro-

>> I understand completely your viewpoint.  However, let me point out that
>> one of your key objectives should be to
>> increase popularity of GNU Radio software.  One way to do this is to
>> encourage and support GNU Radio software examples
>> that interface with MATLAB in some way.
>>

> Yes, you are right in that, but the person that originally posted did not
> like to use GNU Radio; He wanted to interface USRP to Matlab directly
> without GNU Radio in the middle (in fact he managed to interface Matlab with
> GNU Radio). USRP developers/users perhaps would like a USRP-Matlab direct
> connection, but GNU Radio developers/users surely not.
>
> This is the original post:

Ya I know, I had read the original post.  I would say that it's not possible to
have it both ways, there is either
basic encouragement for GNU Radio interface with MATLAB or there is not.  I
think drawing the line at not providing
support for interfacing MATLAB directly to USRP hardware is fine, although I
would note that over the years people
have interfaced MATLAB to many types of data acq/DSP/FPGA hardware that
originally didn't support MATLAB.  It happens.

Even in these borderline cases, people who see the bigger picture -- especially
the Professors and instructors who
influence our future engineers -- will clearly see the advantages of USRP and
start asking "what happens if we use GNU
Radio".  Any increased awareness of GNU Radio is a good thing.

-Jeff