[Discuss-gnuradio] a call for a better wiki

From: George Nychis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] a call for a better wiki
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:10:34 -0400

Hi all,

The more I look at our wiki, the more of a problem I think there is. Yes, I understand WE are the creators of the wiki since it's shared, but I think that it could really use an overhaul with some guidance.

The common argument is that the code is documented, I think this is a good argument in some situations, but there is an overall lack of high level documentation. For instance, what tools are there for spectrum analysis? How can you simulate the channel? What is GNU Radio + USRP's bandwidth? How can you use octave with GNU Radio? What PHY layers are there? What applications are there?

I think that Firas' attempt to better build a manual for the code is great, but GNU Radio is still lacking high level documentation. If you're not looking to build a new block, and you're not looking to install GNU Radio, you're going to have to dig through a massive source tree or ask on the list. This is why we get the same questions over and over where we provide answers like "look at benchmark_tx.py" or "there's a ton of examples in the code." Yes, there are a ton of examples, but the size of the branch makes it very difficult for someone new to find appropriate examples.

We get tons of "new to GNU Radio, where to start?" questions on the mailing list because of this I think. They've obviously found the wiki since the links to the mailing list are on there. The guides on the wiki are a bit daunting.

Thoughts? I'd be willing to work on a new front page design on a wiki subpage, that if we like we can continue to build upon and eventually overwrite the current front page.

Then, as we get questions to the list we realize what kind of documentation we're missing. And instead of always repeating ourselves on the list, it might be helpful to write the answer somewhere in the wiki and then respond with that wiki link. It would seriously help build the wiki.

- George