Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how is the FPGA taking effect in USRP???!!!

From: Karthik Vijayraghavan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how is the FPGA taking effect in USRP???!!!
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:10:30 -0700

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 08:59:54PM -0700, Bill Stevenson wrote:
> Hello, everyone
>
> I dug up the wfm_rcv_gui.py example file in order to penetrate the
> principle of GNURadio. But I have 2 questions about it:
>
> 1, there is a digital downconverter at the receiver, the function of
> down converting the signal is performed by the FPGA or the software
> on PC?

There are two downconverions, one in the RF daughterboard, and one in
the DDC in the FPGA.

See http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UsrpRfxDiagrams

> 2, if it is done by FPGA, how is the code transmitted to the FPGA? I
> mean, the code should be written using VHDL or Verilog, but now the
> code is compiled using Python! How is this transformation done?

If you take a look through the downloaded source code, you'll find the
verilog for the FPGA in usrp/fpga.

The firmware for the FX2 (usb interface chip) and the FPGA
configuration are loaded behind the scenes by the usrp library which
is invoked by usrp.sink*/source

Eric

This might help you better understand the connections between various components. http://www.nd.edu/~jnl/sdr/docs/

Karthik