Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 gigabit ethernet code

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 gigabit ethernet code
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:26:54 -0800

Jennifer Ann Petersen wrote:
 Hi there,

 I've been looking through the USRP2 gigabit ethernet code, and had a
 few questions.

 I noticed that the code for the USRP2 uses the open source gigabit
 ethernet IP core from opencores.org <http://opencores.org> but that
 it has an additional "Wishbone compliant core host interface"
 (specifically I'm looking at MAC_top.v ) that isn't present in the
 version available from opencores.org <http://opencores.org>. I'm not
 terribly familiar with Wishbone, and I'm having some trouble
 identifying its role in the USRP2 code I'm looking at - I saw that
 it's supposed to be a standard interface between IP cores.  It looks
 like the Wishbone inputs/outputs are tied to the internal signals for
 the IP core - so is  it supposed to be some way of defining which
 registers, etc on the  physical hardware get used for the registers,
 etc in the core? If so, does that mean that anyone that uses that
 core needs to use the Wishbone interface?

We use an almost completely rewritten version of the opencores tri-mode ethernet core. The original simply does not work.

The Wishbone interface is for setting parameters in the core (like maximum packet size, speed, etc.), and for reading back performance monitoring counters. The high-speed data does not go through the wishbone, it goes through the fifo interfaces.

Matt