RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP and gnuradio errors - seems to disconnect of

From: Casey Tucker
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP and gnuradio errors - seems to disconnect often
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:40:24 +0000

OK, I booted into Arch Linux again for some testing. This time
my kernel was upgraded to 2.4.24. I hooked up my USRP and
ran the python scripts and walked away for 20 minutes. When
I came back, it was still sitting there trying to tune an NTSC
signal and failing miserably at synchronizing the video stream,
but it did not freeze or bail out with any of the prior errors of
the device not being found, so it could indeed be the Linux
kernel that I was using. I'm using the SVN version of gnuradio,
so it is >= 3.1.1 I guess. As for Windows, I haven't done any
further testing, but am left to assume that my 3.0.2 on XP will
continue to fail.

I would like to get the SVN (or at least a more recent) version
to compile under Windows, but the Wiki articles do not indicate
which libraries are compatible, and I think this is a real shame
for those of us who prefer to enable non-linux-gurus to use
FOSS. Any advise on compiling under MSYS or Cygwin would
be greatly appreciated.

Sidebar: as for the NTSC signal not synching... Should I just
 play around with the signal routing, or is it more of a decimation
thing? I've tried many different decimation values and
have had the best success with 10, 14, 20, and 28.

> From: address@hidden
> Are you seeing the same symptoms with GNU 3.1.1 on Linux?
>
> There was a significant bug fix in 3.0.4 related to the USRP firmware
> and USB power management. We only saw the issue with certain versions
> of the Linux kernel, but it may be related.
>

> From: address@hidden
> This is probably unrelated, but I once had random errors similar to
> this when I used an under-rated power supply with USRP. Another
> possibility is a loose power supply jack connector. But I guess you
> have pretty much ruled these out already.

Yes, I believe the power supplies are fine but thanks for bringing that up.