Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Need info for paper.

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Need info for paper.
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 02:57:21 +0100

John Clark wrote:
> I'm co-writing a paper on the use of GNU Radio. Because I'm inclined to
> use 'Open Source' solutions,
> GNU Radio and the attendant DSP library, was for me about the only
> choice I would have made...

> However, in the paper I'd like to at least make some attempt at
> indicating any 'alternatives', if there
> are any in the Open Source arena, or parish the thought, cost-money type
> packages.

High Performance Software Defined Radio (opensource)
An Open Source Design
The HPSDR is an open source (GNU type) hardware and software project intended
as a "next generation" Software Defined Radio (SDR) for use by
Radio Amateurs ("hams") and Short Wave Listeners (SWLs).

http://hpsdr.org
http://pcovington.blogspot.com/

There are GnuRadio developers which are in contact with or collaborate with
people of HPSDR.
They use some of the verilog sourcecode of the USRP for their FPGA in their
boards.

Gstreamer Quadrature library (opensource):
libgstiq is a library with  Gstreamer  plugins for use in software defined
radios.
http://sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl/users/pe1rxq/libgstiq/index.html

libDSP (opensource)
libDSP is a C/C++ library of digital signal processing routines, including
standard vector operations, digital filtering, and transforms.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libdsp/

flex-radio (commercial)
Company building software defined radio frontends (SDR-1000) for use through
the soundcard of a PC for the IF.
Aimed at Radio-amateurs
http://www.flex-radio.com/

Comblock (commercial)
Hardware oriented commercial company delivering blocks to build SDR systems
ComBlock modules are small commercial off-the-shelf modules which are
pre-programmed with essential communication processing functions,
including modulation, demodulation, error correction encoding and decoding,
digital to analog/RF, RF/analog to digital, formatting, data storage
and baseband interfaces.
http://www.comblock.com

ARRL page about software defined Radio projects:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/sdr.html

> If anyone has done a more detailed evaluation and perhaps has a chart
> depicting features, that would be
> good.
>
> Also, a while ago, I saw someone who had put together a 'graphical'
> interface, where one could construct
> a DSP processor using graphical means, and setting various parameters
> using a GUI. I have not had the
> time to really keep up on that sort of thing, but if there is someone
> who has something that works, I'd also
> like to know about that.
Thu GnuRadio GUI you are referring to is called GRC, written by Josh Blum
Download: http://www.joshknows.com/download/grc/
Wiki: http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/GNURadioCompanion

> For those who have information, and send me a release, credit will be
> made in the paper for their contribution.

If you need any other kind of info, please let me know.
I have done some presentations on GnuRadio and Software Defined Radio and I am
preparing for some GnuRadio courses that I will be giving.
It would be appreciated if you made the paper public and available somewhere on
the web.

Greetings,
Martin