Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GNU Radio on MacOS X 10.5 Leopard

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GNU Radio on MacOS X 10.5 Leopard
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 03:57:41 -0500

Andrew (et.al.) - You're welcome! I hope all of that hard work on MacPorts files pays off, since it would make installing the background requirements for GNU Radio "as simple" as it is in 10.4. We (me, and some MacPorts developers) are still discussing these changes, and I'm having trouble convincing them that a Framework install is OK ... at least one of them seems to want to have the GUI-capable Python install without a Framework - sort of "de-framework-ify-ing" a framework install - which I don't think is possible (and, why would one really want to that in the first place?!). Anyway, more when that comes to pass.

On a more positive front, I've tracked down and have a fix for the issues we've seen on the GUI. Turns out that MacOS X 10.5 / Darwin 9 changes the behavior of threads, so that the fast-usb code's threads would not do flow control (notification of start / finish of individual threads) reliably. I've created a testing branch with changes that work well for me on 10.5, and should be backwards compatible with 10.4 (I'll try that tomorrow; requires a reboot). These changes allow the GUI to work for me, which completes the (short) list of issues that I know of between 10.5 and GNU Radio.

I would appreciate it if MacOS X users (10.4 or 10.5) could try out, and provide feedback on, the branch at:

http://gnuradio.org/svn/gnuradio/branches/developers/michaelld/usrp_fusb_fix

and verify that USB transport works for them. You can do this via any USRP scripts, and/or heading into "usrp/host/apps" and executing "./ test_usrp_standard_rx" and "./test_usrp_standard_tx". - MLD