Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] control time or number of points acquired

From: ematlis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] control time or number of points acquired
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:04:13 -0500 (EST)

Thanks Eric, Juha, and Michael-

to get 3 helpful responses within an hour of sending a post is truly amazing, particularly considering the time of the year.

I should have elaborated in my post. I tried the gr.head approach, but I'm not sure it works in my application- I'm using the approach of the astronomy guys, with a control button that turns on and off from /dev/null to a file descriptor. So if I use gr.head, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it immediately sends the number of samples specified to /dev/null. I don't think that way is compatible with the approach I'm using, which I ripped off from usrp_psr_receiver.py.

So you know what I'm doing, I'm using the USRP as a pseudo digital oscilloscope with a capture to file option. When I see something I like in the scope, I hit the "capture to file" button. It works great, but currently I have to look at my watch to capture comparably sized samples.

Perhaps there's a way of incorporating a timed capture (or fixed number of samples to this model?

thanks again so much.

eric

Eric H. Matlis, Ph.D.
Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering Dept.
120 Hessert Center for Aerospace Research
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556-5684
Phone: (574) 631-6054
Fax:   (574) 631-8355