Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Frontend Hardware which is not USRP

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Frontend Hardware which is not USRP
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:50:35 -0800

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 10:14:55AM +0100, Cheetah L wrote:
> Hi everyone ,
>
> I am doing a project on GNU Radio. I am working on a different recevier
> frontend which is not USRP. The GNU Radio seems to intergrate with the usrp.
> I have installed the radio but i couldnt figure out what i have to change
> inorder to make it work with other front ends ( not the USRP). I am new to
> the GNU radio so any help is appreciated.
>
> Best ,
>
> Cheetah

Please tell us more about your front end.  Depending on how simple or
complicated it is, the amount of work varies from trivial to a fair
amount of work.

Basically you need a way to get samples from it and perform any
control operations.  The USRP is on the complicated end of the
spectrum, mostly because of it's flexibility and the work we had to do
to get good performance out of the USB.  A basic A/D card is on the
simple end, assuming you've already got a Linux driver that'll deliver
samples via "read" or something similar.

Eric