Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 4x4 MIMO with USRP

From: Martin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 4x4 MIMO with USRP
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:27:57 +0100

Ketan Mandke wrote:
Martin,

Thanks for your response. It is disappointing to hear that the MIMO
support for 4 antennas will not be available for some time.

Could you provide some more details into why this problem of aligning
the transmit samples will be easier in the new m-block framework? Will
these new packet oriented m-blocks utilize a different interface to
the USRP which will make this alignment-task easier?
Sorry for the late response. I get so much mail, that I miss a mail once in a while. With the m-block interface you can specify in a packet when the samples should be sent. As long as the time reference in the USRPs are synced this means that all samples will be synchronised.
In the old framework there is no sense of absolute or relative time.
This means you have to build from scratch a system which can hold-off samples untill the time comes for them to be sent out.

In essence this IS what the m-blocks will do. So why invent the wheel twice?

Greetings,
Martin