Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RE: Finished Unofficial Gnuradio User Manual

From: Firas Abbas
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RE: Finished Unofficial Gnuradio User Manual
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:28:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

You are welcomed. The published document is just a simple start, and I'm planing to do :

1) Publish updated version document with more documentations and more error correction in the next one or two days at most.

2) To add/create (in the near future) a new block ordering such as :

- Sources
- Sinks
- Signal processing
- Type conversion
- Digital Filtering
- Signal Modulation
- Signal Demodulation
- Tools
- USRP
-.................... any more suggestions are highly welcomed

4) Add a blocks alphabetical index (in near future).

5) To Apply all these documentations in the original gnuradio source files and send it as patches to gnuradio developers (administrators) , so that the official gnuradio documentation generated by doxygen will give us more information.

6) Trying to find/build a new doxygen configuration to file to make it generate a more clearing picture and send this a patch to gnuradio.

Regards,

Firas,

Andrew Rose <address@hidden> wrote:
Firas,

Thanks for creating the manual. As a new user, it has already helped me
find various bits and pieces that I may never have found otherwise.

Whilst the manual as-is makes a great reference document, can I suggest
that for a new user at least, it would be even more helpful if the
information was ordered differently - perhaps along the following lines.

Sources
- noise_source_x
- sig_source_x
- vector_source_x
- file_source

Sinks
- fft_sink_x

Filters
Hardware control
Encoders (cross-referenced to the relevant decoder)
Decoders (cross-referenced to the relevant encoder)
Mathematical operators

Further, it would be helpful if the document identified those things
that were deprecated and due to disappear in a future release (e.g.
fftsink2.fft_sink_x should be used in preference to fftsink.fft_sink_x,
I believe).

Also, the "examples" section for each block is a great idea - but
doesn't seem to be complete. For example, audio.sink is used in
gnuradio-examples/python/audio/audio_play.py, but that isn't referenced
in 1.25.2.

A minor point - I note that 1.8.16.4 says file_decriptor_[sink|source].
Presumably this is a typo and should be file_descriptor_[sink|source]
(decr -> descr)

Many thanks for all your hard work.

Andrew