Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Scope hangs

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Scope hangs
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:20:38 -0700

Tommi Rouvali wrote:

> This is probably stupid question, but I ask it anyway:

Not stupid :)

> Now a litle change:
> 66c66
> <       self.src = audio.source (sample_rate, options.audio_input)
> ---
>>       self.src = gr.sig_source_f (sample_rate, gr.GR_SIN_WAVE, 650, 100)
>
> And again I run it with -S to get the scope view. But this time the
> scopes user interface is hang. Buttons do not do anything, and even when
> trying to close window linux tells me 'Program not responding' and I
> have to force quit this app. The sin wave is scope runs there just fine.
> But user interface is 'locked' and cpu usage rises.

What's happening here is that the signal source block is running at
maximum CPU speed and preventing the GUI from updating or reacting to
user events.  This doesn't happen with the audio source block as it is
rate limited to the sample_rate parameter.

You need to insert a gr.throttle(gr.sizeof_float, sample_rate) block to
the flowgraph right after the signal source.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC