[Discuss-gnuradio] Encoder Integration

From: S Mande
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Encoder Integration
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:08:20 -0400

Hi,

I have implemented a convolutional encoder and a viterbi decoder in Verilog and am trying to integrate it with the existing GNU Radio software and make it available to everyone, once I integrate it.

My encoder takes in the input binary bits and generates encoded binary bits, based on defined parameters.

I am first focusing on integrating the encoder with the GNU Radio software. My understanding from the code is that the following steps are performed while transmitting ( i.e. benchmark_tx.py, transmit_path.py, pkt_py, modulation_utils.py ) :

1)    Generate random bits.
2)    Map bits to symbols (gmsk or any other modulation )
3)    Convolve the symbols with a wave and taking discrete samples (Sampling)
4)    Combine the step (3) samples with header information and make a packet.
5)    Pass it on to the FPGA.

Generating bits and sending it to FPGA for encoding using my encoder module and sending the encoded bits back to follow the above chain will possibly not make sense as I am overusing the bus resources, which would defeat the purpose of encoding in Verilog/FPGA . (bus usage should decrease by transmitting raw bits across the bus).

So, should I pass all the above (steps 1 to 5) functionalities into the FPGA i.e. generate, "encode", map, convolve inside the FPGA and then pass it on to the existing functionalities in the FPGA ?

Or is there a more optimum way to do this ?

Any inputs on the above would help me. I am stuck with this problem for quite some time now.

Please correct me if I am going wrong somewhere.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
S. Mande.