[Discuss-gnuradio] script suffix deletion - tales of woe

From: L. Van Warren
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] script suffix deletion - tales of woe
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:36:22 -0500

In my experience in porting many systems to many platforms, suffix visibility is an essential aid to clarity and understanding.

I would hope that the .py suffix would be retained, as well as all other relevant suffixes.

Do what you think is best however.

The workaround I will use if suffixes are deleted is to grep out the first line of the script to determine the suffix,
reinstantiate the script as suffixed and proceed. It is probably just a Unix hack to build a set of tools that add/del suffixes.

The trouble comes when scripts call scripts, and visibility as to the nature of the script is lost.

This is second-order, and probably requires human recognition, thus my note.

Deleting suffixes may cause an increase in confusion and message traffic by newbies, rather than intuition-building.

73,

- Van
wdv.com
AE5CC