Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: in-band signaling project overview

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: in-band signaling project overview
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:56:00 -0500

Brian-

> > 2) Does your new FPGA code require the next-gen USRP, with Spartan 3 FPGA?
> > My understanding is that capacity is very
> > limited in the Cyclone, which is an old FPGA (around yr 2002 time-frame).
>
> If you have a single, specific application in mind, you should be able
> to reduce down the size taken in the USRP FPGA significantly.
>
> The original USRP FPGA was designed to be able to handle the most
> minimal decimation (4 by the CIC and 2 by the halfband FIR filter, I
> believe) which has the FIR computing every 8 clock cycles and an
> effective bandwidth of 8MHz.
>
> It was also designed for the CIC to handle large decimation rates
> which increases the "bit growth" of that filter.  If you specifically
> have a bandwidth and decimation rate you're interested in (or even a
> small range of decimation rates) then you should be able to change the
> CIC filter to use significantly less space.  Moreover, if you're
> decimating more than 4 at the CIC, you can use more clock cycles and
> less instantiated soft multipliers for the FIR filter in the FPGA.

I think the biggest concerns with Cyclone I are lack of multipliers and low
amount of
internal mem (26 kbyte for the EPC1C12).

> Just curious, what are you specifically looking to do?  Do you need
> the ranges for the CIC decimation, or just a few select values?  Can
> you handle having less CIC decimation and more FIR decimation?  What
> waveforms are you looking at which causes latency to be so tight?

802.11b (more specifically VoIP-over-WiFi), GSM (EDGE), and eventually 3G
(HSDPA)
waveforms.  I've seen discussions and specific deadline figures for 802.11b,
but not
yet for the others -- do you know any web pages that show comparisons?  Thanks.

-Jeff