[Discuss-gnuradio] oprofile inband code results

From: George Nychis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] oprofile inband code results
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:30:43 -0400

Hey all,

I'm a bit new to profiling, I've used gprof in the past but this is my first time using oprofile. I'm running oprofile on the inband code to try and better understand the m-block performance problem we are seeing. Since Eric and I's first short attempt at profiling a while ago showed significant time in the kernel, I've enabled full kernel profiling.

I haven't specified any specific oprofile options, just sort of started the daemon, dumped before running the program, ran it for ~1 minute and saved a session, then examined the single application.

I've hosted the results to spare the list some traffic:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/gnychis/inband_profile_4

So it looks like there is a lot of time spent scheduling the threads in the kernel. We're not concerned about optimizing the application itself.

I can certainly help run more results to make things clearer.

- George