Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] xG Technology

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] xG Technology
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:46:23 -0400

John Clark wrote:

> On the topic of Phil Karn... my 'contact' with that name was using the
> ancient AX-25/Packet Radio networking stacks of yore
> to do incredibly low speed networking (as a note my system in Florida
> was replacing a KA9Q based implementation...). So
> perhaps while now Karn may have surcome to the corporate coolaid... at
> least at some point he was involved in the
> early phases of what we now call 'open software'... like GNURadio....
> The last time I had anything to do with Packet Radio was
> when I ported it to an OS/9 setup for a small company called ITT... I
> thought that would be my entry in to the big time... ha... well
> anyway...

Phil's worked in the telecom industry for a long time, first for
Bellcore and then for Qualcomm.  But at the same time, he's done a
tremendous amount of engineering in the public interest, not only with
his KA9Q TCP/IP implementation but with spread spectrum, signal coding,
and all sorts of other cool stuff.

He was also an activist against the US' absurd export controls on
encryption, and has worked to defeat bad patents using prior art.

And, in his spare time, he takes down people who don't believe in what
those Nyquist and Shannon fellas had to say. :-)

John