Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problems with burn-db-eeprom

From: John Stralka
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problems with burn-db-eeprom
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:54:48 -0700 (PDT)

Matt,

<< First off, reburning the eeprom is the LAST step in several step process to
make an RFX board into a MIMO_A board. >> ... yes, as I mentioned in my post
from 7/30/07, I made the modifications that you provided in a post from 2/7/07,
where you stated:

        All RFX boards currently shipping are configured for MIMO_B mode, which
        requires a Rev 4 or higher USRP (serial number greater than 500).

        If you wish to use it with a USRP with a serial number below 500 you
        will need to do the following:

                Remove R115 (zero ohms) and place it at R116
                Remove R36 (zero ohms) and place it at R34
                Put the RFX on a USRP (side A) and run the following:
                       usrp/host/apps/burn-db-eeprom -f -A -t rfxYYYY_mimo_a
                    where YYYY is the board you have (i.e. 400, 900, 1200,
1800, or 2400).

<< Secondly, why are you doing this?  You have MIMO_B boards which is the
optimal setup.  The only reason to make a mimo_a board is if you want to use it
with a very old rev 3 USRP, which you do not have. >> ... I'm trying to create
a comm link between two RFX2400 daughterboards.  I noticed that there is a
significant amount of RF leakage between two daughterboards within the same
USRP enclosure.  Therefore, I wanted to seperate them into two separate USRP's.
 I have an USRP with a Rev 4 PCB (2/17/07, Ser #1263) .  The only other USRP
that I have access to has a Rev 3 PCB (1/3/05, Ser #409), which according to
your 2/7/07 post requires the corresponding RFX2400 to be modified for MIMO_A
operation.

Is this correct?

In order to use one of my RFX2400 daughterboards with the Rev 3 USRP I have
successfully done the following:

    Remove R115 (zero ohms) and place it at R116
    Remove R36 (zero ohms) and place it at R34
    Put the RFX on a USRP (side A) and run the following:
        usrp/host/apps/burn-db-eeprom -f -A -t rfx2400_mimo_a

I can transmit from the Rev 3 USRP, but I cannot receive on it.  It seems to
have a tuning problem.

I would appreciate any help.  Thank you.

                            John